The geographical distribution of Melo Snail in India – Pacific.
Its natural habitat is the area Melo Snail of Southeast Asian Sea, South China Sea, Gulf of Thailand, the Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal near Burma. The waters off Vietnam in the South China Sea, known as the area has many Melo Snail, is the main source of rare gems Melo Snail because of this snail species produced. Several different habitats including offshore waters in the Gulf of Thailand, Thailand, Myanmar in the Bay of Bengal, the Andaman Islands in the Andaman Sea; Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines in the South China Sea. We also have offshore Northern Australia, the South China Sea. Melo Snail living area known as the Indian region – Pacific, and South China Sea, the sea link between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific.
The main areas of Vietnam where many Melo Snail
In Vietnam, more Melo Snail detected in waters of the picturesque Halong Bay – “Bay of the Dragon” – along the north coast. It is in the Gulf region have a lot Melo Snail is the sand around Bach Long Vi Island, a small island located between Haiphong in Vietnam and China’s Hainan province. However, most of Melo Snail mined in Vietnam are from trawlers scraping from the fishing port of Thanh Hoa and Quang Ngai fishing from the waters around the archipelago distant Paracel and Spratly Islands in the South East, two groups of islands that China disputes with Vietnam. Melo Snail was discovered in the sandy and muddy areas with depths between 20 and 30 meters. Fishing season is around April. Melo Snail harvested from various places were moved to the shopping center of the whole of Vietnam Melo Snail north of Cat Ba island, from which the traders sold across China. However, after about 20 years fishing Melo Snail strong, their numbers became depleted, and Melo Snail abundant source earlier than now increasingly rare. Vietnam is a major supplier Melo Snail pearls, rubies are sometimes also referred to as orange pearl Vietnam.
Melo Snail detected Arkan coast, in the area south of Dawei, Mergui Archipelago, and the Andaman Sea near Kawthaung in Thailand. The shell of the Melo Snail called “Ohn kayu” or “coconut” because it resembles a coconut, and gems they created called “Ohn pale ‘means” pearl coconut “. Melo Snail is caught at a depth of 30 -50 meters from the seabed mud.
Melo Snail occasionally be caught up from the seabed in the crab catch in the Gulf of Thailand. A Melo Snail why is it often difficult to see live bottom mud, in water depths of over 20 meters, where it eats small gastropod species and marine organisms. However, according to a scientist of Thailand, Mr. Suraphol Chunhabundit, a marine biologist at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Melo Snail is nocturnal and daytime that swims to the bottom sand leaving only the upper suction hose. This is the exact reason why it’s difficult to detect and rarely caught. According to him, Melo Snail eat plankton and other small animals in the sea.
Singapore and Malaysia
Melo Snail Two species were recorded in the waters of Singapore and Malaysia, species bailer volute – Melo melo, and noble volute – cymbiola nobilis. While noble volute species occasionally found in a quiet area north coast, bailer volute rare species, because they live in deeper waters. Bailer volute in Singapore species commonly found in the offshore reefs of Beting Bronok. It is found in the list of endangered species, mainly due to habitat loss.
Foraging behavior and reproduction
Melo Snail often buried under sand or mud seabed during the day and at night to feed. They are carnivorous, eating other small gastropod species, such as species and Babylonia lutosa hemifusus tuba and dog conch, Strombus canarium.
Melo Snail living area and the distribution is limited, because due to their reproductive behavior. We were not born the larvae swim freely and floating in the water over a wide area of the ocean, as in oysters and clams, and forming new settlements. Gender segregated in this species, but the difference between males and females is very difficult to identify, except perhaps in size.
Description of Snail Melo
The average length of the shell is from 150 mm Melo Snail to 275 mm, the size record was recorded as 362 mm. Skin color change from beige to orange, smooth the surface showed clear growth path. Sometimes some dogs bark with dark brown streaks, the others do not have any particular trace. Inside the glossy cream-colored bark, out near the edge of a light yellow color. Shellfish have large openings, nearly as long as the shell, this feature facilitates let water out, like a container with a wide mouth.
Snail meat of Melo foot brown with white stripes like zebra (therefore it also the name – zebra sea-snail). The white stripes are also in the suction hose. These characteristics are typical of Melo Snail.
The use value of Snail Melo
1. Source of food: Melo Snail was human use from time immemorial. One of the important uses of Melo Snail as a food source, like other molluscs such as oysters, clams and marine gastropods other. Melo Snail is still used as a treat in many countries in eastern and southern Asia, such as China or Vietnam.
2. Used as a tool to draw water from the boat: An ancient usage is to use their large shell with wide mouth for scooping water out of the boat like the local people in Australia, since this snail species named Its (bailer vulote).
3. Use as a bowl: The Indians used their shells as a bowl in the kitchen, containing liquids such as oil.
4. Use a ladle in the market: The shell is used to scoop salt, sugar and flour in the local market, in the areas where they are found.
5. Used as a plant pot.
6. Use as trumpet in religious rituals: In Burma, Melo Snail shell is sometimes used as a trumpet, like a conch shell, and is blown in religious ceremonies, or when celebrating in the Temples.
7. Use as an ashtray: In the coastal villages in Burma, Melo Snail shells are used as ashtrays or cigars.
8. Precious property of collectors: shells of snails in Melo Snail they are famous artifact collections for its decorative nature, and so valuable for collectors it. Snail shell Melo also valuable because rare.
9. Source no nacre pearl: Melo Snail created one of the natural jewels have the most rounded sphere, rarest and largest in the world, with fiery orange. Melo Snail pearl has been known since ancient times in South East Asia, are used as symbols to express different qualities, such as the perfect symbol of Buddhist thought, because pearls do not require repair or supplemented by humans.
10. Jade Snail is used as bi Melo: In Burma, where very few people know the value of these gems, children use it for playing shoot marbles in the unknown phase.